Aaaaaaaahhhhhh it’s been way too long since I’ve updated! I have been very consumed with finishing two wedding dresses, a bridesmaid dress for me, and two fascinators. I wanted to put all my time and energy into getting those pieces done. Now I have a lot of catch up to do and I will get back to blogging regularly now that I have a little less to juggle.
The first of the wedding projects I finished was this super fun loopy bow fascinator. Our friends Corban and Amy had the sweetest backyard wedding and I was thrilled to be able to make a fascinator to match her ridiculously cute wedding dress. When she gets more pictures from her photographer I’ll snag a couple close-ups.
I started with a buckram base I blocked and wired. I’ve been using the buckram from Joann Fabrics because it’s nice not to have to order everything I work with all the time, but it requires about three layers to make a sturdy, solid base. I like to use a PVA solution to seal the layers together and add extra stiffness.
From there, I pinned dupioni silk around the base and sewed it by hand. When adding fabric to a fascinator base, I like to start by pinning the straight of grain and then the crosswise grain down. (Picture a compass with pins on North, South, East, and West.) After those are secure it is easier to pin the bias down and eliminate wrinkles. I did the same thing with the lace and sewed it down.
To attach the chenille dotted veil to the base, I sewed through it on one side to gather it and I tacked it down.
The bows were a fun problem solving exercise. I wanted them to be sturdy and stay up on their own so I cut two layers of buckram, wet them, and dried them in the looped shapes. Initially I thought I would use two pieces of dupioni silk and hand sew them to each loop, but I didn’t like the way that looked after trying it. So I cut bias strips, sewed them into tubes, and covered each buckram loop. I made each looped section separately and hand sewed them together to get each piece to stick out at the angles I wanted.
Amy wanted a comb instead of a headband or piece of elastic to keep the hat on, so what I normally do to attach a comb is to tie small sections of elastic to each end of the comb, add some glue, and sew the elastic to the base.
To line the fascinator, I used dupioni and made a yo yo (a circle of fabric twice the diameter of the desired finished length that is gathered at the outer edge and pushed flat). I sewed the center of the yo yo to the fascinator base to keep it from falling, and tacked its edge around the base. To hide any stitches I sewed a piece of petersham ribbon around the inner edge.
Amy looked smashing and the wedding was wonderful. Congrats again, Corban and Amy!